Taking care of a body of water is crucial for ensuring it offers a cooling oasis, whether a person will be swimming or simply using the pond as a safe haven for aquatic animal and plant life. Aeration is one of the most important aspects of caring for any pond, whether it is a natural one or a manmade. With this information, pond owners will learn six benefits of aerating their pond so they can keep it healthy.
These are the biggest benefits of pond aeration:
- Aeration improves the water quality of a pond. When water lacks oxygen, the sediments at the bottom of the pond can release noxious gases that cause fish and plant life death. A properly aerated pond will provide a healthy water source for all types of aquatic life.
- Algae growth can not only make pond water unhealthy, it can also cause a pond to look less attractive. With pond aeration, algae is less likely to thrive so pond water stays clear and healthy.
- Foul odors are common when a pond becomes stagnant. Hydrogen sulfide develops when a lack of oxygen occurs in a body of water. Oxygenating the water reduces the hydrogen sulfide levels in the water so odors are kept at bay.
- Stratification can cause varying temperatures in water which can lead to fish dying off. Aeration disrupts stratification so there are no varying temperatures which can result in a fish population not thriving.
- Stagnant ponds often harbor mosquitoes because the insect needs still waters so their eggs can hatch. A windmill pond aerator constantly moves the water and acts as a natural deterrent to mosquito development.
- Sediment development can cause a pond to be less healthy. Sedimentation develops when the water of a pond is not being stirred. Aerators help to prevent sediment buildup for a healthier, cleaner water source.
If you are tired of your pond fish dying off and your plants not surviving, pond aeration may be beneficial. Check out the selection of windmill aerators today so you can protect your fish life and keep your pond as healthy and vibrant as possible.